The Dublin Region Homeless Executive is provided by Dublin City Council as the lead local authority in the response to homelessness in Dublin
and adopts a shared service approach across South Dublin County Council, Fingal County Council and Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council.

Rent Arrears

Rent Arrears


If you are behind with your rent, it is important that you get advice immediately. Failure to pay your rent could mean that you lose your home if you do not act straight away. Paying your rent should always be your first priority.


Local Authority Housing  - rent arrears


If you are Dublin City Council tenant and find you are in arrears with your rent you should contact your local Executive Housing Officer immediately who will discuss the situation with you in detail and arrange a payment plan that will assist you in clearing them within a reasonable period of time and that would not adversely affect your financial circumstances. This will entail paying an amount in addition to your normal weekly rent.



For further information on Rent Collection & Accounts please (Freephone) 1800 679 555 or 01 222 2211


Private Rented Accommodation - rent arrears


If you are having problems paying your rent, you should get advice as soon as possible.  You should contact your landlord to let them know of your difficulties and see if you can make any arrangements.  Please contact Threshold as they will be able to provide you with support and help at 1800 454 454. This FREEPHONE number assists families who are renting and at risk of losing their homes in the Dublin Region.


Help paying your rent


Contact your local Social Welfare, to make sure you are getting all the financial help you are entitled to, you could be entitled to Rent Supplement. For further information on rent supplement:


(MABS) Money Advice and Budgeting Service


The Money Advice and Budgeting Service (MABS) is a free, confidential, independent and non-judgmental service for people in debt, or in danger of getting into debt, in Ireland.



Their helpline is 0761 07 2000 and operates Monday to Friday from 9am to 8pm. 
You can also contact them by emailing  or  


MABS are a national service with over 60 offices nationwide. For details of your nearest office in Dublin contact


Keeping your Home


This website if provided by the Citizens Information Board and the Money Advice and Budgeting Service (MABS). It provides information on the services and entitlements available if you are having difficulties paying your rent or making mortgage repayments. It is based on content from and  




Household Budget Scheme


If you are in receipt of a Social Welfare payment you can apply to The Household Budget Scheme This scheme can help those getting Social Welfare payments to spread the cost of some household bills over the year. Under the scheme a fixed amount is deducted from your Social Welfare payment each week. The maximum amount that can be deducted is 25% of your total weekly Social Welfare payment. The scheme is operated by An Post and your payment must be paid through your local Post Office. The Household Budget Scheme is free of charge.



Full details of the scheme are available from An Post at or Freephone 1800 707 172.


Private Residential Tenancies Board, PRTB


If you are renting privately and are in dispute with your landlord the Private Residential Tenancies Board (PRTB) offer a landlord tenant dispute resolution service. The tenancy does not need to be registered to access this service. The mediation process is supportive and non-confrontational. A mediator assists the parties to explore each other’s respective positions and reach a resolution of the dispute to which both are agreed.



phone 01 6350 600 or log onto