The Dublin Region Homeless Executive is provided by Dublin City Council as the lead local authority in the response to homelessness in Dublin
and adopts a shared service approach across South Dublin County Council, Fingal County Council and Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council.

Financial Help when Homeless

To get advice on your social welfare entitlements you must contact The Homeless Persons Unit (HPU)


Contacting the Homeless Persons Unit


The Homeless Persons Unit provides payments under the Supplementary Welfare Allowance Scheme and offers advice on your social welfare entitlements.


Please call 1800 724 724 or alternatively please call into either of the offices listed below.



Oisin House, 212-213 Pearse Street, Dublin 2

Monday to Friday 10am – 12noon


Women and families

41 Castle Street, Dublin 2 (*This service will be moving to 77 Upper Gardiner Street, Dublin 1 on the 9th February)

Monday to Friday 10am -12 noon


New Communities (includes Asylum Seekers, Refugees and persons from EU Accession countries)

Please call 01 8585100 or access the service directly on 77 Upper Gardiner Street, Dublin 1 from 10am- 11.30am, 2pm to 3.30pm.


There are three main categories of payment:


  1. Basic payment ‘Weekly or Living Money’
    This is intended to be a short-term payment. It is often payable pending the award of another longer-term allowance or when no other scheme is available to the claimant.
  2. Supplements ‘add-on’ to basic payment
    Following award of Basic SWA or DSP claim, supplements may be payable to cover certain recurring expenses, such as rent, travel or diet. This depends on the individual circumstances in each case and is subject to verification.
  3. Exceptional Needs Payments (ENPs)
    These are once off payments towards unforeseen expenses that cannot reasonably be met from within weekly income such as: Clothing, Travel Expenses (to HPU office) and Rent Deposits.


The HPU will also assist you in making a claim for mainstream Social Welfare Payments including Job Seekers Allowance, Disability Allowance, Child Benefit, etc.


If you don’t have a medical card, talk to the HPU and apply for one – don’t wait until you become sick. Applications for medical cards can be ‘fast tracked’. Please contact 01 703 6100.


Community Welfare Officers in the HPU can also provide information and advice on a wide range of issues, which impact on the day to day lives of people experiencing homelessness.


You will need to obtain proof of means – details of any source of income or employment history.


For further information please contact